Well that escalated quickly

Before I start cooking a meal, I like to have the kitchen cleaned – at a minimum to have the counters around the stove cleared off and dishes either washed or soaking.  It’s nice to have the space to make a mess when needed, but also makes it easier to wash dishes as you go if you are only washing things you just used.  I’ll admit, clean-kitchen-Emily is the utopian version of myself, but it does happen occasionally and is a nice thing to strive for.  That same Emily decided that before building furniture for the patio and starting on it’s redesign, it would also be nice to clean the garage first.

Before Brien starts cooking a meal, he likes to start two more projects – the knives must be sharpened, let’s feed the bread starter, ooh the herbs need to be dried, but no need to wash the bowls – this is why we have 100 mixing bowls! (I may exaggerate).  Following that methodology in our attempt to clean the garage, we started two more projects.  Admittedly, they are things that will help with long term garage storage, especially for scrap wood, but we aren’t good at one thing at a time.  So after we had purchased plywood for a rolling cart, and while the under-bench crate storage was waiting to be glued together, we started on my number one priority project- removing the existing, not very functional cabinets above the washer and dryer to put in rubbermaid shelving.

While I know it doesn’t seem like it should be an important project (we already had storage up there), it just wasn’t working for us.  A: we didn’t like the looks of it.  Petty, I know, but it had these flimsy yellow doors were that never my thing.  B: we never knew what we had in there, because in a quick sweep of the garage we wouldn’t see the container of weed-b-gone and would buy another on our next home improvement run.  C: the shelves weren’t tall enough to fit things easily and the paint, household cleaners, bug spray, and gardening supplies just got scattered about the garage.  Open shelving would fix problem B, getting adjustable shelves (as opposed to building them ourselves) would fix problem C even as we changed what was stored there, and they don’t sell rubbermaid shelves in yellow.

First things first though, we had to take down the existing cabinet.  This is where things escalated…

The whole unit was built in place and nailed to itself and the studs behind it.  So instead of just unscrewing some supports and lifting it down, we had to take a mallet to it and get things down piece by piece.  During that process, we discovered that the cabinet was covering some holes in the drywall.  We also got a lesson in Newtonian physics: when you hit one part of a cabinet with a mallet, it exerts a force on the wall it is supported by (equal and opposite,don’t ya know).  When there aren’t any studs in that section of wall, you end up cracking your drywall…

And then we opened up the junction box behind the cabinet (since the cover was coming down with the drywall) and found a complete rats nest of wires.  They were capped, true, but it just did not look like it was up to code.

So this is where we quit with the project.  The demolition debris at least got taken to the city drop-off center, but those wires are both beyond our ability and make us a little nervous.  The electrician is coming for an estimate this week, and as a silver lining for Brien, while he is here we may put in more dedicated circuits in the garage to power the equipment we have.  As a silver lining for me, at least we hadn’t started on the patio yet 😛

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s